Knockan Hill Park

 

Follow us
on Facebook


Knockan Hill and its name are subjects of historic mystery involving legend and language.

For centuries, songhees people harvested camas (below the Garry Oaks and firs on the hill).

1850’s

Scottish settlers came to Craigflower farm. “Cnocan” is a Scots Gaelic word for “knoll” or “hill”.
 

1858

Official map showed George McKenzie as purchase of 60 acres north of Portage Inlet on east slope of Knockan Hill.
 

1873

“The Races of Mankind” by Robert Brown described Knockan Hill as meaning in the Tsongeith language “coiled up”.
 

1885

Knockan Hill was identified on the J.D. Pemberton map of S.E. Vancouver Island.
 

1895

It was featured as “Mount Nga´k’un” in a “Songish” legend in “Indian Legends of the North Pacific Coast of America” by Franz Boaz.
   

1906

Four hectares of hilltop on Knockan Homestead became public lands in the new Municipality of Saanich.
 

1973

Mrs. Maude Hall sold her three hectares of woodland, including her house and garden, to the people of Saanich.
 

1989

Knockan Hill Park was preserved as parkland by Saanich Parks Preservation By-law 6256. It is now a Natural Park.
 

1993

One acre was added to the original park to fill in the south east corner.
 

1993-2004

FKHPS worked with the Town of View Royal to acquire the property at 101 High St. for parkland.
 

2005

0.8 acres of adjacent woodland on High St. was donated to View Royal and added to Knockan Hill Park.